Good grooming and keeping oneself neat and clean shows that a person has respect for himself or herself and the people he or she comes in contact with throughout the day. There are many aspects of grooming and personal hygiene including hair, nails, breath, body odor and clothing.
In today’s competitive and modern business world, it is highly essential to adhere with professional appearance and grooming for the workplace. If you have the desire to look your best at all times in social and professional settings, you need to keep in mind the following basic guidelines for good grooming in the workplace:
- Wear business suits or Proper Uniform as per Company Norms.
- Always be neat and clean including your teeth, fingernails, face, hair and even your shoes.
- Keep your pockets empty and as much as possible avoid tinkling coins or keys and bulges.
- Avoid eating candies, smoking cigarettes and chewing gum when you are inside the office or Store.
- Use portfolio case or light briefcase when carrying important documents with you instead of compiling these documents in folders and carrying these between your armpits.
- As much as possible get rid of tattoos and body piercings for these will just make you look untidy and unprofessional.
- Wear light perfume and cologne and minimize using lots of jewelries.
If you wanted to establish a credible and respectful image, you need to dress conservatively in the office. In the case of women, they are advised to avoid using clothes that are revealing. Clothes must be in proper fit and length to ensure confidence and comfort upon wearing.
These are just few of the many ways on how you can achieve ideal professional appearance and grooming for the workplace. Individuals also have to note that personal hygiene must be practiced in the workplace and not just at home. Professional appearance can further be enhanced by reporting to work early, wearing the best smile often and displaying positive attitude.